The Almono Phase 1 Infrastructure Plans have been approved for construction.
Thank you to the City of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and their related agencies on their efforts to move the Almono Hazelwood development forward. On-site work is scheduled to begin in October. This $25 million Phase 1 infrastructure project includes:
- New 1.5-mile complete street with innovative stormwater and cycle track
- Fully separated new sewer system and new utility trunk lines
Construction will adhere to the following:
- Project labor agreement with a collaborative process for working with the contractor, union, owner, and community to find opportunities for hiring local residents
- City and County MWDBE goals for contractors
- Clean diesel for equipment
Following a public bidding process in June, Independence Excavating was awarded the contract as the prime contractor. Construction is scheduled to begin in October and be complete in 18 months providing Hazelwood with a new public riverfront street.
Thanks to all who have shown support!
Recent news articles:
Pittsburgh Business Times: Road through 178-acre Almono site ready to start construction
Post Gazette: Carbon neutral: A coke site may again be a Pittsburgh symbol