This former steel works has been redeveloped into a modern industrial park, now home to several thriving businesses.
The City Center of Duquesne was once home to the Duquesne Steel Works. Located along the Monongahela River, south east of Pittsburgh, the plant opened in 1886. In 1890, it was acquired by Andrew Carnegie and then by U.S. Steel in 1901. During peak production in 1948, Duquesne Steel Works employed over 8,000 people and operated six blast furnaces. The plant was in service until 1984.
Allegheny County took control of the site in 1987. RIDC was asked to acquire and redevelop the 240-acre site at Duquesne in conjunction with the McKeesport Area Recovery Plan.
RIDC embarked on redeveloping this site when the adaptation of existing industrial sites was not common. The framework RIDC developed for tackling this site led to new state legislation. In 1989, bids began for the remediation and demolition of existing structures, while selective demolition and phased environmental remediation started in 1990. RIDC designed and constructed new on-site access roads and utility networks to service parcels cleared for development as well as for existing buildings that were being retained and rehabilitated.
RIDC has renovated six existing buildings and has constructed one new flex building. RIDC is also building a new 30,000 sq ft flex building. Several additional facilities have been constructed filling up over 60% of the site. Companies in the park include American Textile, Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, and Dura-Bond. In total, RIDC City Center of Duquesne is home to 15 companies, employing nearly 700 people. RIDC recently built a new flex building that is now available for lease.
Note: Properties with active links have space available
- 1 Library Place: Business Innovation Center
- 1 South Linden Street: Duquesne Industrial Manor
- 3 South Linden Street: Open Hearth
- 22 South Linden Street: Linden Square
- 30 South Linden Street: Roll Shop
- 40 South Linden Street: Brick Shed
- 46 South Linden Street: Stores House
- 50 North Linden Street: Heat Treat
- 3 South Linden Street: The Millwrights Building
RIDC-owned land parcels